Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The production of complex molecules within living organisms or cells.
- ‘It should be mentioned that there is no evidence for disturbed chlorophyll biosynthesis in the mutant.’
- ‘In higher plants, the pathways of chlorophyll and haem biosynthesis are tightly regulated at an early step.’
- ‘Adequate measures were taken to protect the plants from biotic and abiotic stresses that may influence lignin biosynthesis.’
- ‘In the whole plant, multicellular compartmentation is required for alkaloid biosynthesis.’
- ‘Roma might reflect a more or less continuous biosynthesis of new cell wall material.’
- ‘Coordination of reproduction and yolk biosynthesis is achieved via the endocrine system.’
- ‘In this mutant, a protein is inactivated which plays a key role during the negative feedback control of chlorophyll biosynthesis.’
- ‘Cysteine biosynthesis is modified by regulators acting at the site of uptake and throughout the plant system.’
- ‘However, enzymes for their biosynthesis are found in both cell types.’
- ‘However, fewer hormone biosynthesis or action mutants are known which exhibit greater than normal growth.’
- ‘This can only be realized if the rate of ethylene biosynthesis is regulated by submergence-induced signals.’
- ‘This is an essential metabolic reaction that precedes the sucrose biosynthesis in the cytosol.’
- ‘Mutants affected in cellulose biosynthesis have been identified in vascular plants.’
- ‘In vivo, the repression of genes involved in starch biosynthesis has been reported to block pollen development.’
- ‘Floral senescence in many species is regulated by ethylene biosynthesis.’
- ‘Bacterial growth is directly linked to the capacity of the cells for protein biosynthesis.’
- ‘The biochemistry of carotenoid biosynthesis has been well established.’
- ‘Metabolic pathways involved in starch biosynthesis are different between source and sink tissues.’
- ‘In this pathway it is well known that biosynthesis is subject to both positive and negative feedback regulation.’
- ‘All previous theoretical analyses of metabolic costs of lignin biosynthesis used glucose as substrate.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.