Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Bionomic algorithms already proved to be an effective framework for finding good solutions to combinatorial optimization problems, when good local optimization algorithms are available.’
- ‘We conducted taxonomic and bionomicstudies on the chironomid midges emerging from and around the sewage treatment plant of Kurobe City (Kurobe Joka Center).’
- ‘There is no point in fighting it - it's natural, it's bionomic.’
- ‘In each case, the existence of feasible bionomic equilibrium points and that of partially feasible bionomic equilibrium points are considered separately.’
- ‘By this substitution of a sure job for a possible masterpiece, military science made a deliberate sacrifice of capacity in order to reduce the uncertain element, the bionomic (read biological) factor.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.