One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The design and production of materials, structures, and systems that are modelled on biological entities and processes.
- ‘One of my favorite talks was the presentation on biomimicry, or innovation inspired by nature.’
- ‘Explain biomimicry and how you draw on it with some examples.’
- ‘The final approach Hahn described, "emulation," is an "advanced biomimicry," based more on understanding and modeling natural processes than on copying specific solutions.’
- ‘Some advances-grid computing or research in biomimicry, nanotechnology or tissue engineering-take place entirely outside a political context.’
- ‘I'm thinking, for instance, of the manifold practical advances today from biomimicry to hydrogen fuel cars.’
- ‘And because, as they point out in their article on biomimicry, nature has much to teach us about the containers surrounding the things we value.’
- ‘We begin to see the opportunities for working amidst the natural rhythm of things - biomimicry - and have less need to control things.’
- ‘One example of biomimicry is the Shinkansen bullet train in Japan: a design inspired by the shape of a kingfisher's beak helped make the train quieter.’
- ‘Essentially, biomimicry is noticing and being aware of how things are made in nature when they're made by natural processes.’
- ‘He discussed the concept of "biomimicry," which the company is embracing to create new products.’
- ‘To be sustainable, biomimicry must also consider how something is made (nature only uses a few elements) and how it fits into a living system.’
- ‘The word biomimicry may be new, but the concept isn't.’
- ‘More than mimicking nature superficially, Bass said, biomimicry is about accessing nature as a launching pad for innovation.’
- ‘Interface is not the first textile company to develop products using the principles of biomimicry, Oakey says.’
- ‘She has worked in the field of biomimicry as an educator, researcher, and design consultant.’
- ‘It's all part of biomimicry, an attempt to mold technology on nature.’
- ‘Dental implants, referred to by some as biomimicry, have become important tools in the replacement of natural teeth.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.