One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The application of statistical analysis to biological data.
- ‘Wall street traders using biometrics or even quasi biometrics is not commonplace.’
- ‘A natural mathematician, he read psychology and mathematics at Aberdeen before undertaking postgraduate studies in mathematical statistics and biometry.’
- ‘Galton was Charles Darwin's cousin and believed that human evolution could be consciously directed, by using biometry to explain the mechanisms of inheritance that would prescribe new rules for human reproduction.’
- ‘These histories seem particularly important to consider given the nontechnological aspects of biometrics.’
- ‘Mathematically trained, he was interested both in systematics and biometry.’
- ‘He was professor of genetics, then of biometry, at University College London, and, 1940-9, chairman of the editorial board of the communist Daily Worker, to which he contributed hundreds of articles.’
- ‘His work involved studying correlation coefficients for the relation between measurements of organs in animals and is important for the beginnings of biometry.’
- ‘Another project includes nursing staff visiting to teach biometry, the measurement of lens strength needed in cataract surgery.’
- ‘Solving this replay problem which has existed since the introduction of biometrics, really opens up many new uses for biometrics.’
- ‘Until recently, biometrics was the science of statistically evaluating various aspects of life expectancy.’
- ‘His monograph was a remarkable experimental study, which influenced many people working in a wide range of areas: the physiology of sex of course, but also embryology, endocrinology, biometry.’
- ‘The importance of monticule characters in biometry, functional morphology, and evolution have been discussed elsewhere.’
- ‘During nest checks, we recorded nest content, adult band number, and egg biometry or chick measurements.’
- ‘Five years later, in 1937, he came to Cornell University's Department of Plant Breeding, so that he could continue genetics and biometry.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.