One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The control of a pest by the introduction of a natural enemy or predator.
- ‘IPM is not a biological control program though biological control is a useful option.’
- ‘Simple laboratory tests can determine whether larval competition or hyperparasitism occurs among parasitoid species targeted for biological control.’
- ‘Barlow and colleagues summarize six distinct structured models of insect/parasitoid interactions with major insights for biological control.’
- ‘They have also been used for biological control, introduced into various islands with the idea that they would control outbreaks of rodent pests.’
- ‘As biological control agents, these predators have often been introduced to areas beyond their natural range.’
- ‘But the scientists cautioned that biological control of pests is risky if the parasites are not specific to the target pest.’
- ‘For much of her career she has worked on parasites of marine animals, most recently searching for parasites that could be used as biological control agents against introduced marine pests.’
- ‘The strategy of fighting a pest with its natural enemy - biological control - has been around for more than 100 years.’
- ‘The biological control of insect pests by using spiders as predators is being studied in four districts of Kerala.’
- ‘Development of biological control for plant diseases is accepted as a durable and environmentally friendly alternative for agrochemicals.’
- ‘Elton focuses on changes in population and community dynamics that result from accidental and deliberate human introductions and subsequent attempts at biological control.’
- ‘The problem is that it is a very potent aphid eater and thus potentially useful in biological control of pest species.’
- ‘Thus, the present study suggests that common mullein could act as a fairly important source of beneficial mites that provide biological control of pest mites in Pacific Northwest orchards.’
- ‘We have taken these analyses further by addressing the level of host suppression, typically the most important factor of successful biological control.’
- ‘Of particular concern is selecting potential biological control agents because insects and pathogens cannot be reconciled with identity of the plants from which they were collected.’
- ‘It is one of the most intensively produced insects over the world for inundative biological control programs.’
- ‘These botanical pesticides are thought to be compatible with biological control as they have little to no impact on natural enemies.’
- ‘Many species of predatory arthropods overwinter in pear orchards of the Pacific Northwest, and it is likely that some of these taxa provide biological control of orchard pests in spring.’
- ‘One of the major benefits of using omnivorous predators as biological control agents is the potential for predicting and promoting their efficacy.’
- ‘Growers have also increased their use of biological control in pest management which will ensure that consumers will continue to have fruit of the highest quality and safety standards.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.