One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An innate mechanism that controls the physiological activities of an organism which change on a daily, seasonal, yearly, or other regular cycle.
- ‘The researchers removed the exercise wheels normally used to gauge mouse activity, because regular spins can help the mice reset their biological clocks, just as a daily walk might help a person sleep better at night.’
- ‘Don't drive at night if you can avoid it, as internal biological clocks encourage most people to sleep when it is dark.’
- ‘By depriving people of light and other external time cues, scientists have learned that most people's biological clocks work on a 25-hour cycle rather than a 24-hour one.’
- ‘Your circadian rhythm is regulated by a biological clock in your brain that usually makes you sleepy at night and ready to wake up in the morning.’
- ‘His pivotal studies provided the foundation on which our understanding of biological clocks and their role in organizing migration, breeding, and other life-history events are based.’
- ‘It was thought to be a biological clock set by the sun.’
- ‘Yes, that's controlled by an internal biological clock.’
- ‘As long ago as the early 1930s the German physiologist Erwin Bunning hypothesized that plants measure day length with an internal circadian clock - and biological clocks are now thought to be virtually ubiquitous.’
- ‘Like the world around us, our biological clocks are set to tick in cycles of approximately 24 hours.’
- ‘Scientists aren't sure why or how, but beavers' biological clocks (and thus their activity patterns) drift out of phase with the day/night cycle in winter.’
- ‘We could reset the biological clock by exposing it to a temperature cycle.’
- ‘At dusk, however, the insect is activated by an internal biological clock, which regulates most of its behaviors.’
- ‘For example, the question of time rhythms in human beings as biological organisms impinges directly on the question of the possibility of an internal biological clock.’
- ‘The daily biological clock has been shown to be involved in autonomic cardiovascular regulation.’
- ‘This helps set the internal biological clock that regulates your sleep and waking patterns.’
- ‘It is not clear, however, whether this shift in response to experience is in fact a learned response or a biological clock adjustment based on physiology.’
- ‘It is most often used by shift workers, jet-lagged travelers and those with Seasonal Affective Disorder to help re-set biological clocks.’
- ‘These results and others led Burning, in 1936, to propose the concept of an endogenous biological clock in animals modulated by daily cycles of light and dark.’
- ‘Prolonged periods of exposure to artificial light disrupt the body's circadian rhythms - the inner biological clocks honed over thousands of years of evolution to regulate behaviors such as sleep and wakefulness.’
- ‘Our biological clock is normally synchronised with the day-night cycle of the home country.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.