One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular The science of collecting and analysing complex biological data such as genetic codes.
- ‘Specifically, I'm a biologist with a strong background in biochemistry, materials science and bioinformatics.’
- ‘Niaid also recently awarded two contracts to support research in a key area of systems biology, bioinformatics.’
- ‘It's only natural that in areas of breaking science, such as bioinformatics, we should see a shortfall in knowledge and skills among new chemistry graduates.’
- ‘Wendel also coordinates training programs for the center, so graduate students and postdoctoral fellows can learn more about plant genomics and bioinformatics.’
- ‘They focus on the IT division of Life Science (computational biology, bioinformatics, bioIT).’
- ‘The faculty of science also offers bioinformatics.’
- ‘Driven by chemistry, the process of drug research and discovery is increasingly led in the post-genomic era by advances in biotechnology and bioinformatics.’
- ‘With the unprecedented growth of bioinformatics and comparative genomics, state of the art technologies are essential to utilize the vast gene pools sitting in the databases.’
- ‘Those areas are polymer research, horticultural biotechnology, transport mechanics and bioinformatics, according to Franklin.’
- ‘Many cite the university's strengths in veterinary medicine, bioinformatics and plant sciences as their draw to this campus.’
- ‘We provide rapid access to the best knowledge in the traditional agricultural sciences as well as in newer fields like bioinformatics, genomics, and proteomics.’
- ‘New areas include tissue engineering, telemedicine and bioinformatics - the technology of the genomic revolution.’
- ‘The Engineering and Medicine streams were getting saturated, while the future belonged to fields like biotechnology and bioinformatics.’
- ‘Thus we are pursuing a variety of projects in computational biology and bioinformatics, with physicists often playing a starring role.’
- ‘The agricultural world is also adopting various approaches in genomics and bioinformatics in attempts to understand complex traits.’
- ‘For example, evolution is fundamental to genomics and bioinformatics, new fields which hold the promise of great medical discoveries.’
- ‘The huge demand for analysis and interpretation of these data is being managed by the evolving science of bioinformatics.’
- ‘The future of biology is strongly bound up with bioinformatics: that is, the field of research that collects biological data of all kinds, and tries to make sense of the data as a whole, and to make predictions.’
- ‘We believe Scotland has excellent potential in biotechnology, bioinformatics, microelectronics and photonics, and Boston is at the centre of these areas on the east coast.’
- ‘Also, Japan's national budget for this year covers new research centers for nanotechnology, bioinformatics, genetic research and protein structure data.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.