One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a group of compounds occurring mainly in citrus fruits and blackcurrants, formerly regarded as vitamins.
- ‘Citrus bioflavonoids are also available as supplements.’
- ‘This liquid extract, which contains many beneficial compounds like bioflavonoids, is easy to use.’
- ‘While researching the biological combustion processes, the Hungarian Nobel Prize Laureate biochemist Albert von Szent-Gyorgyi found that bioflavonoids improved the absorption of vitamin C as well as protecting it from oxidation.’
- ‘Herbal treatments, such as ginkgo biloba, soy lecithin, grape seed bioflavonoids, sweet clover extract, evening primrose and fish oil haven't been proven to offer long-term solutions.’
- ‘Consider antioxidant supplements such as resveratrol, grape seed extract, quercetin, pycnogenol or citrus bioflavonoids, as well as beta-carotene and vitamins C and E. And drink red wine in small quantities.’
- ‘For example, if your diet is deficient in vitamin A, vitamin B complex, vitamin C, bioflavonoids or vitamin E, a heavier than normal menstruation could result.’
- ‘When purchasing a vitamin C supplement, look for one that contains bioflavonoids, which improve the uptake of vitamin C.’
- ‘Not only do bioflavonoids increase vitamin C's effectiveness, but at least one of them - quercetin - also lowers release of histamines by as much as 96 percent, according to a recent Japanese study.’
- ‘Two of its chief ingredients are vitamin C and compounds known as bioflavonoids, both of which seem to have the ability to help fight off infections and maintain the health of the membranes that line the throat.’
- ‘Naringin, a bioflavonoid predominant in grapefruit and other citrus fruits, has been found to scavenge free radicals, therefore it may also reduce radiation-induced damage.’
- ‘A daily multivitamin with bioflavonoids, biotins, vitamins A, C, D, E, and copper, manganese and zinc is a good start, but most important is a diet rich in essential fatty acids.’
- ‘She also discusses the benefits of antioxidants, bioflavonoids, vitamins, liver-cleansing nutrients and botanicals, and phytoestrogens to help support the body in perimenopause and menopause.’
- ‘Plus I took high doses of vitamin C and bioflavonoids.’
- ‘Appropriately dubbed phytonutrients (‘phyto,’ meaning plant), these nutrients have names like bioflavonoids, polyphenols, and carotenoids.’
- ‘My recommendation for the average patient is to take vitamin C along with bioflavonoids.’
- ‘Finally, I recommended nutritional antioxidants such as vitamins A and E, zinc and bioflavonoids, which also aid in decreasing inflammatory complex and increasing tissue regeneration.’
- ‘Previously collectively referred to as vitamin P, bioflavonoids enhance vitamin C absorption.’
- ‘To relieve pain and inflammation, take 1,500 mg of calcium gluconate and 5,000 mg of vitamin C with bioflavonoids (or until diarrhea starts, called bowel tolerance) for a day or two.’
- ‘Vitamin C and bioflavonoids, taken daily, help to prevent colds and flu.’
- ‘Internally, the natural antihistamines in vitamin C and bioflavonoids decrease swelling.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.