One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A process whereby electronic monitoring of a normally automatic bodily function is used to train someone to acquire voluntary control of that function.
- ‘The results of this study support the efficacy of EEG biofeedback training in an inpatient drug treatment program.’
- ‘Randomized controlled trial of biofeedback for fecal incontinence.’
- ‘Music, massage, imagery, progressive muscle relaxation, biofeedback, and therapeutic touch are a few examples.’
- ‘Then I was instructed to inhibit this behaviour by electromyographic biofeedback.’
- ‘Other forms of incontinence benefit from pelvic floor exercise monitored by biofeedback.’
- ‘You can receive biofeedback training in physical therapy clinics, medical centers and hospitals.’
- ‘In terms of BFRT however, not all types of biofeedback have had successful effects with asthma control.’
- ‘Some are investigating alternative therapies, such as acupuncture or biofeedback.’
- ‘The heart rate monitor will give you biofeedback as good as a laboratory, allowing you to train smarter rather than longer or harder’
- ‘Urge incontinence is commonly treated with medications, biofeedback or electrical stimulation to the nerves that control the bladder.’
- ‘Relaxation training paired with thermal biofeedback is effective in tension and migraine headache treatment.’
- ‘Lamaze classes aid in preparation; hypnosis, acupuncture, and biofeedback are also used.’
- ‘Nontraditional therapies such as acupuncture, biofeedback, and relaxation training may be used alone or in combination whenever appropriate.’
- ‘Burgio and colleagues compared the effectiveness of behavior training with and without biofeedback in the treatment of urge urinary incontinence in older women.’
- ‘One study evaluated paced respiration, muscle relaxation, or biofeedback control in 33 menopausal women with frequent hot flashes.’
- ‘As a result, the patient may attempt to function without biofeedback or may rely primarily on pharmacologic interventions.’
- ‘You may also want to try massage therapy, acupuncture or biofeedback.’
- ‘Counseling, stress management, and behavior therapies such as biofeedback should be strongly considered.’
- ‘If anxiety is felt to be the predominant cause, consider referring her to mental health services for cognitive behaviour therapy or biofeedback.’
- ‘Relaxation therapy, biofeedback, and cognitive therapy are likely to be useful in selected patients who have confidence in these approaches.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.