Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Ethanol produced from plants such as sugar cane or maize, used as an alternative to petrol.
- ‘With all the advantages stated above, the use of bioethanol seems more pressing.’
- ‘The algae can then be processed into biodiesel and bioethanol, sold at a profit, and used as transport fuel.’
- ‘The petrol is blended with 5% bioethanol, a renewable fuel which shouldn't affect engine performance.’
- ‘Some of us are already filling up with petrol containing five per cent bioethanol.’
- ‘So biofuels, including bioethanol from sugar beet, could help to reduce our dependency on oil.’
- ‘Duty on bio-ethanol, a petrol substitute made from crops, will be reduced by 20p a litre from January 1 2005.’
- ‘This plant will produce up to 70 million litres of bioethanol each year when it is up and running.’
- ‘The amount of raw material to make bioethanol or biofuel keep increasing day by day.’
- ‘Biodiesel is arguably the more environmentally friendly alternative to bioethanol, providing for comparatively more efficient cleaner engines than ethanol powered gasoline engines.’
- ‘Jackson said existing bio-ethanol resulted in a 16% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions.’
- ‘The demand for bioethanol could have a huge impact on the grain market.’
- ‘However, now that flexi cars or flexible cars appear, either 100% bioethanol or 100% premium can be used.’
- ‘An electronic device that claims to allow petrol cars to run on 100% bioethanol could speed the introduction of biofuels on forecourts.’
- ‘The rejoicing thing is that bioethanol for fuel is duty free.’
- ‘One tonne of dried waste can yield around 400 litres of bioethanol.’
- ‘In addition, bioethanol is not a new stuff for Indonesians.’
- ‘As well as conventional petrol it can run on bioethanol, methanol or any combination of the three.’
- ‘Elsewhere there's excitable talk of hydrogen, bioethanol, fuel cells, hybrids.’
- ‘The perfect burning is due to octane number bioethanol is higher than gasoline.’
- ‘There are two types of biofuel: biodiesel made from plant oils and bioethanol made by fermenting grains.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.