Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Consequently, animals have evolved intelligence systems that function, first and foremost, as predictive bioenergetic cost/benefit analysis systems.’
- ‘When bioenergetic limits for growth are studied, only periods with growth not limited by tissue maturation or reproductive allocation should be taken into account.’
- ‘We used a bioenergetic model to estimate the metabolic rate, or activity level, of nest-guarding smallmouth bass in Lakes Erie and Opeongo.’
- ‘More specifically, the energy requirements of nestlings can be used in a bioenergetic model of the bioaccumulation of toxicants that incorporates growth, energetics, food intake, and assimilation efficiency.’
- ‘The enzyme catalyzes electron transfer to the molecular oxygen, a key bioenergetic reaction in aerobic organisms.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.