Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a habitat or region) having a high level of biodiversity.‘Australia is one of the most biodiverse regions on earth’
- ‘Since we do not overlook a major flyway or biodiverse habitat, the odds are significantly stacked against noticing a brand new bird in our own backyard.’
- ‘The country's forests are among the richest and most biodiverse in the world, but they are rapidly disappearing.’
- ‘My final year thesis involved studying the interactions between bees and plants in a very biodiverse area of Mexico.’
- ‘Over the past 30 years, the world has lost fully a fifth of all biodiverse tropical rainforests.’
- ‘The spare land left over from the building the motorway is probably the most biodiverse area anywhere round there.’
- ‘Coral reef systems are one of the most fragile and biodiverse ecosystems on Earth.’
- ‘This is thought to be a proximate explanation that results in the tropics being more biodiverse than the temperate zone.’
- ‘And I was delighted to see the treatment for this film, focusing in on New York City as a biodiverse environment.’
- ‘In fact, more than one-tenth of Illinois is forest, with a biodiverse quilt of 250 tree species.’
- ‘We didn't know whether the soil would simply blow away, or if a truly bio-diverse culture could spring up so high above ground.’
- ‘At the same time, the Tweed is one of the most ecologically biodiverse areas in Australia.’
- ‘Our carbon offset donation to Rainforest Concern is used to protect and re-plant the most biodiverse habitat in the world.’
- ‘But, since the biodiverse services of nature are irreplaceable and non-negotiable, eventually we will all be on board or we will be desperately diminished.’
- ‘Nor should any biodiverse ecosystem be damaged to grow biofuels.’
- ‘In Colombia, one of the most biodiverse countries in the world, there are over 500 species of frogs living in the northern Andes.’
- ‘Being as Ecuador is the most bio-diverse country on the planet, this task took me all day.’
- ‘For the consumer: biodiverse foods are healthier than foods that are the product of monocropping.’
- ‘Here I was in the Amazon rainforest - the world's largest, most biodiverse ecosystem, the lungs of our planet.’
- ‘I've heard that some macro photographers have spent days here shooting in what is arguably the most biodiverse site anywhere.’
- ‘Ecuador is the seventeenth most biodiverse country in the world, home to over 80 native potato varieties.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.