Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Scientists have known for some time that plants were able to respond biochemically to a wide range of environmental stimuli.’
- ‘These endorphins are biochemically responsible for the pleasurable aspects of social interactions and social affect, and are related to attachment.’
- ‘Patients with biochemically severe hypothyroidism may present with only mild clinical manifestations, whereas some patients with moderate changes in thyroid hormones may present with severe signs of tissue hypothyroidism.’
- ‘Thereafter, developing seeds are physiologically and biochemically committed to storage of nutrients (principally as starch, protein, oil, and mineral elements).’
- ‘Drugs also played a major part in his recovery: ‘The pills probably helped biochemically.’’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.