Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘In this frequency range, one needs to minimize liquid water but sufficiently hydrate the sample for bioactivity, native conformation.’
- ‘This is an unusual example of a blocked phase transition (collapsed to monolayer form) inhibiting bioactivity.’
- ‘In these studies extracts were prepared from gut tissue and assayed for insulin immunoactivity or insulin specific bioactivity, such as increased glucose uptake.’
- ‘All of the snake toxin types still possess the bioactivity of the ancestral proteins in at least some of the toxin isoforms.’
- ‘Krill oil is a complex combination of multiple active ingredients with synergistic bioactivity.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.