One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular The branch of acoustics concerned with sounds produced by or affecting living organisms, especially as relating to communication.
- ‘Dr. Whitlow Au, a bioacoustics expert at the University of Hawaii Marine Mammal Research Program, reviewed Gerstein's work for a scientific publication.’
- ‘Also in tribute to Baptista, Kroodsma asked vocal researchers globally to pose the question in avian bioacoustics they would most like answered.’
- ‘For more than ten years, UConn animal bioacoustics researcher Peter Scheifele has collected sounds from a threatened group of beluga whales in Canada's St. Lawrence River estuary.’
- ‘In 1997 Canadas and Sagarminaga expanded into bioacoustics, using a hydrophone - an underwater microphone - to study dolphin communication.’
- ‘Somewhere along the line, I fell in with the charismatic megafauna, and now I work on the physiology, bioenergetics, behavior, and bioacoustics of marine mammals.’
- ‘This rather elusive nocturnal creature suggests the need for further bioacoustics studies on the entire Family Ophidiidae.’
- ‘The lab is also internationally known for its work in bioacoustics.’
- ‘‘We wanted to find ways to apply the high-tech side of what you can do in speech processing, which has been used in human speech processing for a decade or more, and apply those ideas to the field of bioacoustics,’ he said.’
- ‘‘Their world is just being collapsed,’ said Christopher Clark, a Cornell bioacoustics scientist.’
- ‘Sonar technology, bioacoustics science to be used to detect manatees, alert boaters.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.