Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A biography or short biographical profile of someone.‘an unauthorized bio’‘reading the photographers' bios is fascinating’
- ‘Clinton's bio, as I read it - and I'm about 300 pages in - is a new kind of bio, a Boomer bio of an American President.’
- ‘It's not a biography (although a brief bio of Powell is included).’
- ‘Other special features include a brief biography of profiler Pat Brown, as well as cast bios that seem directly lifted from the Season One release.’
- ‘He also whips out some familiar tricks, like introducing a string of characters by rewinding their individual bios in two-minute flashback montages as Tautou narrates.’
- ‘These days he's mostly an editor of anthologies, and I have spent too long driving him mad by forgetting to sign contracts or write amusing bios and anecdotes for him, for his books.’
- ‘There are 10 ‘Fighter Profiles’: text bios of actors appearing in the compiled scenes.’
- ‘But… well, she's either read my books wrong, or she was so busy trying to translate my bio into a series of how-to tips that she never read them at all.’
- ‘The only extras are cast and crew biographies, and even for cast/crew bios, are pretty skimpy.’
- ‘Before I give brief bios of Robert and Mike, I thought I'd include some of the comments from readers on the Borden / Pearson showdown.’
- ‘The bios say she is 5ft 6in, but she seems much taller, her athletic figure - or perhaps her forceful personality - lending her extra height.’
- ‘I also have several bios / profiles from some of the writers.’
- ‘Every single member of the board is married with children, something which is specified in their bios - like a qualification.’
- ‘The first two bios in the series are available: Bo Diddley here, Chuck Berry here.’
- ‘Also included are a filmmaker bio, a bio for Van Gogh, and a catalog of other discs from Docurama.’
- ‘If you want to know more about them, check out their official website, where you can see pictures, read bios, leave messages on their BBS and read their blog.’
[mass noun] Biology.‘I majored in bio and I'm waiting to see about med school’
- ‘Even her lab partner in bio, who she had never hung out with outside of biology class, had given her a sad look and offered her 24-hour support.’
- ‘My school encourages us to take bio, then chem, then physics, but because of our term system we can double up on sciences.’
- ‘She's a bio major trying to decide between pre-med and biomedical engineering.’
- ‘We know about immunology; Margaret took her bio class last term!’
- ‘I have been very pleased with my experience as a bio major.’
- ‘I knew that I wanted a psychology minor but I was undecided between a chem or bio major.’
- ‘Grade 12 diploma marks arrived today and I pulled off a 91 in bio and a less-than thrilling 95 in English.’
- ‘I believe (bio class was a long time ago) that cells can communicate chemically and tell other cells, "hey, join up here.’
- ‘I got the highest grade in my class in bio and business law.’
- ‘If he sits behind you in bio, turn around and take a look.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.