Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The consumption of an excessive amount of alcohol in a short period of time.‘teenagers as young as 16 admit to binge drinking’
- ‘Last month the Home Office also announced proposals to help tackle the culture of binge drinking.’
- ‘A policy to tackle binge drinking was published by the Government last month.’
- ‘Early exposure to the culture of binge drinking can do terrible harm to a child.’
- ‘Frequent binge drinking increased from 5% to 12% for the same period.’
- ‘Ministers have rejected proposals - supported by supermarkets - to introduce a minimum price for alcohol to stop binge drinking.’
- ‘At the college level binge drinking was reported by 65 percent of drinkers, the highest level in the nation.’
- ‘Other studies have linked binge drinking to breast cancer.’
- ‘Nor should there be any doubt that our society's fondness for binge drinking is related to the spreading epidemic of extreme casual violence.’
- ‘Furnham was speaking in advance of the release of a report on binge drinking to which he has contributed.’
- ‘There have been quite a few documentaries recently on binge drinking.’
- ‘The Department of Health, in a bid to curb binge drinking among young people, pushed for a 50 per cent increase in duty on spirits.’
- ‘The first step is to tackle the blight of binge drinking.’
- ‘Opening later encourages sensible drinking, rather than binge drinking in short periods.’
- ‘Binge drinking has been elevated to the national sport.’
- ‘Binge drinking among adults inevitably sets a bad example for young people who want to be "more grown up".’
- ‘In pregnant human females, one ill-timed bout of binge drinking may produce permanent fetal damage.’
binge drinking/ˈbɪn(d)ʒ drɪnkɪŋ/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.