One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Composed of two equal parts.
dual, duplex, twin, binary, duplicate, matched, matching, paired, in pairs, complementary, coupled, twofoldView synonyms
- ‘The spikelets are binate.’
- ‘Its short binate leaves, the persistent long prickles of its cone, and its tough branches, combine to distinguish this Tine from its associates.’
- ‘It has the trivial name from its long binate leaflets, resembling ass's ears.’
- ‘Though the Kawau plants all showed solitary terminal female flowers, binate flowers are sometimes met with.’
- ‘The binate leaves have a flat or slightly concave under-surface.’
Early 19th century: from modern Latin binatus, from Latin bini ‘two together’ + -ate.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.