One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘They're a bit more technical than my billycarts, but basically my own board is used as research and development and then the boards I build for customers, they get the updates.’
- ‘As well as the thrills and spills of the billycart racing there will be plenty of entertainment for everyone to enjoy including the Grand Parade at 1 pm and helicopter rides over Bangalow that will leave from the town's showground.’
- ‘Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the first event of the year, The Harrington Park billycart derby today; please give a very big welcome to our first contestant today, J.B.T. Man.’
- ‘If being beaten by a barbecue on wheels wasn't bad enough, the Air Force team and their Hornet billycart unfortunately lost against Navy at the Billycart Grand Prix in Melbourne on November 28.’
- ‘Weighing around 70 kg, the billycart has a welded stainless steel frame with racing bike wheels and comes complete with the F / A - 18 grey paint scheme and No.3 Squadron tail markings and mini dummy bombs.’
- ‘A child these days doesn't break an arm falling off his billycart, he develops a bad case of Nintendo thumb - a recognised medical problem.’
1920s (in the sense ‘a small handcart’): perhaps from billy: formerly such carts were sometimes pulled by a goat.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.