One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Endless stretches of water, gleaming rivers and gliding boats framed within the vibrant shades of green paddy fields and blue skies dotted with billowy white clouds.’
- ‘According to the show's host, big and billowy are this year's watchwords for bridal wear, and green could be this year's hot colour - despite old myths about the colour's potential to influence a marriage in the wrong way.’
- ‘No other land is in sight, only an ocean without end and its own billowy breath rising as cumulus clouds that seem far more substantive than the tiny landforms below.’
- ‘There's a great sense of fantasy about billowy clothes.’
- ‘All very well to feel nourished in the billowy comfort of my nightie; huffing myself into work clothes this morning took almost an hour longer than expected!’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.