One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person possessing assets worth at least a billion pounds or dollars.
magnate, mogul, big businessman, baron, merchant prince, captain of industry, industrialist, financier, top executive, chief, lord, magnifico, nabob, grandeeView synonyms
- ‘At the same time I get angry when I think a bunch of billionaires and millionaires are going to go on strike because they can only think of themselves.’
- ‘The numbers of millionaires and billionaires has grown in direct proportion to the numbers condemned to lives of misery and hardship.’
- ‘More recently, it's been a case of millionaires striking against billionaires.’
- ‘This group of millionaires and billionaires believes in the biblical adage that says, to whom much is given, much is required.’
- ‘Six of the country's billionaires have some involvement in Yukos.’
- ‘Being a billionaire, he hopes, will at least give him a style edge over his opponents.’
- ‘Melbourne is filling with tycoons, moguls, magnates, billionaires and mere millionaires.’
- ‘He is listed as the billionaire whose net worth declined the most, a hefty 91 per cent.’
- ‘But Mexico has more billionaires and millionaires than any country in Latin America.’
- ‘They each will hold enough other shares to make them billionaires, at least on paper, if the IPO is successful.’
- ‘Five hundred and fifty billionaires possess the same amount of wealth as the poorest 2 billion people on the planet.’
- ‘We need to money to see this sight reserved for millionaires and billionaires.’
- ‘Black homeownership is growing, as are the ranks of the Black millionaires and billionaires among us.’
- ‘And there are multi-millionaires and billionaires earning hundreds of millions of dollars per year.’
- ‘The Davos summit has been going on for decades, mostly as a place for billionaires and millionaires to mingle.’
- ‘But there is no argument about his creative genius, which has made him a dollar billionaire.’
- ‘What about a little more than a dozen billionaires and 40 million poor people in Russia?’
- ‘First he was in Sudan, where he managed part of the Saudi billionaire's assets.’
- ‘Last year there were 497 billionaires with a net worth of 1.54 trillion dollars.’
- ‘Who cares about the squabbles between billionaires and millionaires?’
- ‘Most of the Russian billionaires and multimillionaires control raw materials and their associated industries.’
Mid 19th century: from billion, on the pattern of millionaire.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.