One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large, fast-swimming fish of open seas, with a streamlined body and a long pointed spear-like snout. It occurs on the surface in warmer waters and is a popular sporting fish.
Family "Istiophoridae": three genera and several species, including the marlins, sailfish, and spearfish
- ‘He rated billfish the supreme species because, wait for it, they jumped.’
- ‘Bluewater big-game fishing for marlin and other billfish is not only a challenge for the angler, but also for the boat captain and crew.’
- ‘Fish species like tunas, seerfishes, billfishes and mackerels fall in this category.’
- ‘As our understanding of large marine predators increases, the critical role of concentrations of mesopelagic cephalopods in the lives of such species as elephant seals, billfishes and tuna is becoming clear.’
- ‘If funds permit, then a mixed itinerary that includes billfish, tarpon, bonefish, or even dorado, is well within the scope of a two or three week expedition.’
- ‘Leave the oceans' bluefin tunas and billfish and sea turtles alone, but pay no attention to the man behind the curtain - as he shovels redfish into the boiler.’
- ‘We know that there has been a big shift already - we are replacing big tuna and billfish with things like snake mackerel and pelagic stingrays.’
- ‘She is investigating if tuna, marlin and other billfish see colours and movements differently, which could help make more specific fishing techniques, reducing unnecessary and illegal catches.’
- ‘Past longline catch data from these areas show that an unacceptably high level of juvenile swordfish and billfish are being landed.’
- ‘But in the billfish big leagues it can take $5,000 or more - sometimes way more - just to play in a game where payouts of thousands of dollars, even hundreds of thousands, are at stake.’
- ‘When you try to hook a billfish and miss, all you recover is the hook and the head of the ballyhoo (the herring-like baitfish); hence the corruption, San Cocho.’
- ‘They strike the bait with such power when they leap into the air that a strong line is an absolute must since a billfish of that caliber and poundage can make a line with an 80 pound breaking sprain seem like thread under all that pressure.’
- ‘However, aside from anecdotal reports of color changes in various pelagic fish, particularly billfish, little else is known.’
- ‘Records from fishing boats highlight four areas showing unusual diversity in sharks, tuna, billfishes, and other big predators, says Boris Worm of the Institute for Marine Science in Kiel, Germany.’
- ‘Harvesting of swordfish, sharks, billfish, and tunas in the Atlantic is regulated by the International Commission for the Conservation of Atlantic Tunas.’
- ‘Some are larger and more colorful than others, and deep-water rigs offer the occasional glimpse at a tuna or even a billfish.’
- ‘‘A lot of time men's glory comes from the kill,’ says Bierman, who releases all her billfish, even in tournaments.’
- ‘The fastest-swimming fish are the billfish and the tunas.’
- ‘Finding that these men who fished for the billfish monsters were as alike, and yet as different as it were possible to be, to each other and to myself.’
- ‘The ultimate challenge for the shorefisherman is probably a billfish or tuna from the shore, and Australia is one of the few places in the world for that.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.