One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to bile or the bile duct.
- ‘Damage to the vasculature of the biliary tree can also induce significant bile duct damage.’
- ‘Motor dysfunction involving the gall-bladder and biliary tract may play a role in nonulcer dyspepsia.’
- ‘The body is usually able to get rid of it easily unless there is something wrong with your liver or biliary system (this releases bile to help with digestion).’
- ‘Abdominal pain is the most common presenting symptom in patients with pancreatic or biliary tract cancers.’
- ‘In primary biliary cirrhosis the bile ducts in the liver are attacked by the body's own immune system.’
- ‘Findings consistent with a partial occlusion of the common bile duct include delayed biliary to bowel transit.’
- ‘The conclusion is made even stronger if the nature of the abdominal pain suggests that the liver, biliary tract, or pancreas is the source.’
- ‘Effect of estrogen plus progestin on risk for biliary tract surgery in postmenopausal women with coronary artery disease.’
- ‘Little is known regarding their expression in biliary tract and pancreatic carcinomas.’
- ‘The main sites of surgery were colonic/rectal, gastric, hepatic, cholecystectomy or other biliary.’
- ‘The cause of obstruction was common bile duct calculi in 26 patients and biliary malignancy in 30 patients.’
- ‘Carcinomas that arise from the biliary duct epithelium are rare.’
- ‘The biliary tract includes the gallbladder and bile ducts.’
- ‘Pain below the right rib cage, called biliary colic, is usually the first symptom.’
- ‘The ductal involvement is frequently patchy, in a pattern similar to the bile duct damage seen in primary biliary cirrhosis.’
- ‘In fasting, the motor functions of the stomach, small intestine and biliary tract exhibit a regular periodicity.’
- ‘Freya Stratford had been seriously ill with the bile duct condition biliary atresia and doctors gave her just weeks to live unless a donor organ was found.’
- ‘Her biliary tree is dilated with intrahepatic and extrahepatic biliary dilatation, and the common bile duct measured 11 mm.’
- ‘Ultrasonography is the best method for identifying gallbladder stones and for confirming extrahepatic biliary obstruction as dilated bile ducts are visible.’
- ‘In the case of pain arising in the pancreas or biliary tract this can be attributed to the fact that the release of enteric hormones in response to foods is slow.’
Mid 18th century: from French biliaire, from bile ‘bile’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.