Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A type of hatha yoga characterized by a set series of postures and breathing exercises, performed in a room heated to a very high temperature.
- ‘Of course, Bikram yoga isn't the only popular practice right now.’
- ‘Bikram yoga, commonly known as "hot yoga," builds physical and mental strength, balance and flexibility.’
- ‘Several thousand instructors nationwide are certified to teach Bikram yoga.’
- ‘I practise Bikram yoga and visit a spa for a manicure, pedicure, waxing and a facial.’
- ‘Corbett practices Bikram yoga, trains with weights and, while not a strict vegetarian, can't remember the last time she ate meat.’
1980s: named after the Indian yoga teacher Bikram Choudhury (b. 1946), who developed it.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.