One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of an indigenous people of south-eastern Luzon in the Philippines.
- ‘Long before any westerners reached the region, the ancient Bicols (the people) already has the culture of their own.’
- ‘You have bestowed on this rich and ancient land of Bikols, indigenous gifts, gifts that have characterized and identified us Bicolanos… gifts that have been interwoven into the fabrics of our lives… that have lifted our sensibilities and pride as a race.’
- ‘And the most marginalized group are the Tagalogs and Bicols.’
- ‘A great portion of the present population descend from the Nayons and the Onhans who immigrated to the islands from Panay and the Bicols and Tagalogs who came from Luzon as early as 1870.’
- ‘But Gugurang was more powerful than Asuang who was merely a subordinate; the former was the chief deity of the Bicols.’
- ‘External appearance is more strictly regarded among the Bisayans than by the Bicols and Tagalogs.’
2mass noun The Austronesian language of the Bikol, with over 3 million speakers.
- ‘My mum's mother tongue is Bikol (aka Bikolano, Bicolano, etc.) although she's completely forgotten it now since she's lived here in the UK for over 20 years.’
- ‘In ‘Border Lover,’ Merlinda Bobis compares the possibility of writing in Bikol, Pilipino, and English in the Philippines to the feeling of being ‘surrounded by the English language’ in Australia.’
- ‘My mother is from the Philippines, although she is native Bikolana (and used to speak Bikol).’
- ‘In the Philippines there are some 85 mutually unintelligible though genetically related languages of the Malayo-Polynesian family, such as Tagalog, Cebuano, Ilocano, Hiligaynon, Waray, and Bicol.’
- ‘The inhabitants speak Bikol, and the commercial/financial centers and transportation hubs are Naga City, the Heart of Bicol, and Legazpi City, the regional center.’
Relating to the Bikol or their language.
- ‘Many of these poor are found in the southern Philippine Mindanao Islands where most of the country's 3.9 million Muslim Filipinos live and in the Bicol region in the eastern Philippines.’
- ‘When Jesse M. Robredo became mayor of Naga, his hometown, the city had seriously deteriorated from its glory days as queen of the Bikol region southeast of Manila.’
- ‘Taking advantage of the government's changed stance against terrorism, the New People's Army said it would not release the soldiers it captured until the government suspends all military and police operations in the Bicol region.’
- ‘Nearly 20,000 families, most of whom from the southern Tagalog and Bicol regions south of Manila have been affected by the storm.’
- ‘Mayon, a cone-shaped mountain situated 200 miles southeast of Manila that towers over farming communities in the Bicol region, is a major tourist attraction.’
- ‘After graduation, he went into broadcasting, first in his native Bicol region, then in Manila.’
- ‘Hundreds of others in the Cebu, Iioilo, Aklan and Bicol regions took leave en-masse on November 5.’
- ‘Power was cut in the capital, central Luzon and the Bicol region, due to the tripping of a high-voltage line from a power plant in Sual, Pangasinan Province, causing the entire Luzon grid to break down, Energy Secretary Mario Tiaoqui said.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.