Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Scanty briefs worn by women as underwear.
- ‘I wasn't aware that I was wearing disposable pants, although I felt they were too low at the front: like 1970s bikini briefs.’
- ‘Doesn't she know if she's going to try to dress like a twenty-year-old she should wear a black thong to complete the look, not bikini briefs?’
- ‘There's even people skiing in bikinis - one buxom blonde bunny in a blue bikini certainly caught my attention, as surely as the guy skiing in his bikini briefs made me huddle in a corner of the couch, shivering in the fetal position.’
- ‘A Web site that featured images of young wrestlers in bikini briefs was voluntarily shut down after questions were raised about its content and purpose.’
- ‘My wife in her silky soft panties and I in a tight pair of white silk or cotton bikini briefs.’
- ‘The images they singled out for criticism included the Babette creme fraiche ad and a promotion for Magnum candy bars, one of which was stuck suggestively in a model's bikini briefs under the heading ‘For Man.’’
- ‘Clad in furry bikini briefs and a cape, the God of Thunder released numerous albums.’
- ‘Inside were a lavender bra and a matching pair of bikini briefs.’
- ‘There are briefs of many varieties: bikini briefs, boxer briefs, thongs, jockstrap briefs (essentially jockstraps with seats).’
- ‘True enough, but he neglected to mention that Elvis also owned a pair of bikini briefs of many colors, not to mention 22 Cadillacs and a chimp named Scatter.’
- ‘You're only wearing a close-fitting white cotton t-shirt and bikini briefs.’
- ‘At first, Maggie prances straight out of the pages of a lad's mag, at one point wearing bikini briefs, a cowboy shirt and a killer pair of open-toed stiletto boots.’
- ‘Prince began to gain a reputation as a highly charismatic, if over the top, performer: he stalked the stage in bikini briefs and high heeled boots.’
- ‘Images of the Rome festivities, featured on various homosexual websites, shows throngs of shirtless men in shorts and bikini briefs congregated on the streets, some of them holding hands.’
- ‘All the play's best scenes are the ones between her and Braunstein, a man who makes a mullet haircut, hockey bedsheets and leopard-skin bikini briefs seem somehow appealing.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.