One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A two-piece swimming costume for women.‘Karen put on a yellow sun dress over her bikini’as modifier ‘a bikini top’
- ‘More fluid designs and flowers bloomed all over the catwalks, on everything from chiffon dresses and silk wraps to shirts, bikinis and kaftans.’
- ‘For example, in Japan fifty years ago it was considered vulgar to swim in a swimming suit but now bikinis are the norm.’
- ‘The look is long and lean; a mix of retro and ultra modern with crocheted bikinis, hole-infested frocks and horizontal striped tube knit dresses.’
- ‘Some of the great sparkling looks came in tiny swimsuits or two-piece bikinis studded with silver nail heads including crocheted white suits.’
- ‘She had long blonde hair tied up in a high pony tail, with jeans on and a gold bikini top.’
- ‘Walking hand in hand, we passed several other people on roller skates, in bikinis and swimming trunks, with shopping bags in their hands and all.’
- ‘After a swim, put on the wrap skirt over your bikini or swim suit, and go for a drink.’
- ‘Its residents long for the freedoms they relinquished so many decades ago, and to join in the liberty and freedom of spirit represented by bikinis and Speedo swim-suits.’
- ‘A girl in ripped up jean shorts and a bikini top came barreling out of the house and down the steps toward us.’
- ‘The bikini bottom had strings that tied together at the sides to keep it on, and the bikini top was halter style.’
- ‘I was wearing a plain black bikini top, with jean shorts over the bikini bottoms.’
- ‘I take two or more bikinis / swimming costumes when I go on holiday as its nice to change into a dry suit rather than sit around in a wet one and get all sandy.’
- ‘I abandoned my shirt for my floral bikini top and my little white tennis shoes for sandals.’
- ‘Many traditional Samoan villages ban beach wear such as bikinis and swimming suits.’
- ‘Julia pulled out a pink bikini top and a mini skirt with a tropical design.’
- ‘Both were dressed in mini skirts and tank tops with their bikini straps clearly visible.’
- ‘It may be winter outside, but Marks & Spencer is hotting up with fantastic bikinis, swimsuits, tankinis and dresses to flatter all.’
- ‘A lot of hardy Scots braved what were chilly conditions and sported swimming costumes and even bikinis.’
- ‘All she could see though, was a fairly pretty girl wearing a tight mini-skirt and a white bikini top.’
- ‘Blending imaginative colour and functional elements, new bathing costumes and bikinis are spectacular eye-catchers.’
1940s: named after Bikini, where an atom bomb was exploded in 1946 (because of the supposed ‘explosive’ effect created by the garment).
An atoll in the Marshall Islands, in the western Pacific, used by the US between 1946 and 1958 as a site for testing nuclear weapons.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.