One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Skintight knee-length shorts made of a stretch fabric, of a kind originally designed to be worn by cyclists; cycling shorts.
- ‘"I'm wearing two pairs of bike shorts," Bart said, tugging on the shorts clinging to his long legs.’
- ‘On your mark, get set: adventurist Cathy Sassin talks about women's potential and why nobody should wear bike shorts.’
- ‘Always wear a helmet, gloves, shatterproof sunglasses and padded bike shorts.’
- ‘Your bike shorts, shirt and socks should all possess this feature - Cycling clothing really is about much more than a goofy fashion statement.’
- ‘My pair of sleek, stylish and always sexy Lycra bike shorts that I was sporting only weeks ago have been traded in for sweatpants and a fleece.’
- ‘Suddenly, I realized how ridiculous I looked, how monstrously huge I was in my spandex bike shorts and oversized t-shirt.’
- ‘His trepidation at disrobing completely in a residential neighborhood in 41 degree Minnesota fall weather to change into bike shorts was tempered by his desire to protect his area from the sure pounding it was likely to receive.’
- ‘The first Friday of biking group, I shyly wheeled my bike toward a group of women in helmets and bike shorts, welcoming one another like old friends, which they were.’
- ‘Crash Pads and ASI both make very effective underwear-style hip pads, which are like bike shorts with pads on the hips.’
- ‘I'm wearing a pair of beat-up running shoes and wool socks, with just a T-shirt and shorts over my bike shorts.’
- ‘Pick up several pairs of chamois or gel-padded bike shorts for your ride.’
- ‘I know I'm at the right place because the clotheslines are sagging with bike shorts and jerseys.’
- ‘I always found bike shorts, foundation garments, and the like a bit too heavy for me.’
- ‘You wore bike shorts underneath a short skirt and felt stylish.’
- ‘A woman whose bike shorts expose a large butterfly tattoo on her calf fills out paperwork.’
- ‘I wear a bicycle jersey and bike shorts everywhere I go.’
- ‘A lunatic officer in bike shorts started yelling.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.