One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A crystalline compound with basic properties, made by condensation of two guanidine molecules.
Chemical formula: NH(C(NH)(NH₂))₂
- ‘Metformin, the only biguanide currently available in the United States, can be used alone or in combination with sulfonylureas.’
- ‘Metformin, a biguanide and insulin-sensitizing agent, has been used to restore menstrual cyclicity and induce ovulation in PCOS without the use of additional fertility drugs.’
- ‘Metformin is the most common type of biguanide. c.’
- ‘Metformin is a biguanide that improves peripheral tissue sensitivity to insulin but inhibits hepatic glucose formation.’
- ‘Phenformin, another biguanide, was withdrawn from the market after a rate of 40 to 64 cases of lactic acidosis per 100,000 patient-years was reported.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.