Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A crystalline compound with basic properties, made by condensation of two guanidine molecules.
- ‘Phenformin, another biguanide, was withdrawn from the market after a rate of 40 to 64 cases of lactic acidosis per 100,000 patient-years was reported.’
- ‘Metformin, the only biguanide currently available in the United States, can be used alone or in combination with sulfonylureas.’
- ‘Metformin, a biguanide and insulin-sensitizing agent, has been used to restore menstrual cyclicity and induce ovulation in PCOS without the use of additional fertility drugs.’
- ‘Metformin is a biguanide that improves peripheral tissue sensitivity to insulin but inhibits hepatic glucose formation.’
- ‘Metformin is the most common type of biguanide. c.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.