One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A stocky brown wild sheep with large horns, found in North America and north-eastern Asia.
- ‘While the bighorn sheep, the black bear, the mountain lion and the bobcat inhabit higher elevations and are elusive to visitors, one is more likely to sight the elk and the moose in the valley.’
- ‘Today, systematic surveys show there are more than 800 bighorns in the refuge.’
- ‘Few biologists doubt that some strains common in domestic sheep are lethal to bighorns, but what actually happens during a bighorn epidemic is still far from clear.’
- ‘Male bighorn sheep with the largest horns, for instance, have the highest social rank and are more likely to mate.’
- ‘The five national and sixty six provincial parks contain a healthy population of bighorn sheep, mountain goats, elk, bears, wolves, bison and woodland caribou.’
- ‘Perhaps a little more exciting to catch sight of (at least for me) is the bighorn sheep, mule deer, bobcat, mountain lion, coyote or one of the amazing birds of prey.’
- ‘Paul Rauber's article left the reader with the unfortunate impression that one must somehow choose between mountain lions and bighorn sheep.’
- ‘Wild populations of bighorn mountain sheep are carefully managed in North America for hunters who want a chance to shoot a ram with a trophy set of horns.’
- ‘With a little luck and patience, you can see moose, pronghorns, bighorn sheep, coyotes, wolves, black bears, and grizzlies as well as ospreys, trumpeter swans, bald eagles, and lots of other birds.’
- ‘Their education is going so well that they are being used to work with other species, such as cougars, moose, and bighorn sheep.’
- ‘The USFWS predicts removing the dams will improve habitat conditions for several groups of wildlife, including game birds, raptors, deer, elk, mountain lion, bighorn sheep, small mammals, even bats.’
- ‘Of the 40,000 Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep in North America, Alberta has the largest population with up to 7,000 animals.’
- ‘And in the fossils we examined, we saw no evidence of fractures, healed wounds, or specialized adaptations for managing the forces generated by head-butting, such as the adaptations that occur in bighorn sheep.’
- ‘See wildlife such as bison, elk, mountain goats and bighorn sheep.’
- ‘You will see playful herds of antelope, moose and elk, bighorn sheep and bounding deer along with a plethora of smaller creatures carrying on their daily tasks unimpeded.’
- ‘Keep an eye out for wildlife: Elk and even bears can be spotted in the valleys, while mountain goats and bighorn sheep live higher up.’
- ‘Native grasses support cattle grazing and provide forage and shelter for native wild animals, such as elk, bighorn sheep, and sage grouse.’
- ‘Under Texas law, a person found taking deer, antelope or bighorns without landowner permission (trespassing and poaching) faces a State Jail Felony criminal charge.’
- ‘Similarly, the arrival of burros represented a change in the environment of bighorn sheep on which natural selection will work to produce bighorn sheep better adapted to compete for water.’
- ‘The land around the ranch is a protected wintering area for elk, deer and bighorn sheep.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.