One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in South Asia) a measure of land area varying locally from 1/3 to 1 acre (1/8 to 2/5 hectare).
- ‘As one woman social worker told them, ‘I don't think all the parents contract their children because of poverty. Otherwise, why should a father with 20 bighas of land send their daughter Munakka, for begging?‘’
- ‘Covering a wide area of 140 bighas, there are three grounds at Gobra.’
- ‘Similarly, 103 bighas of land is on offer at Raisan, Baragraon in Kulu for setting up a mini golf course.’
- ‘My uncles separated from my father, who got only two bighas.’
- ‘Chhel Chand, 65, a resident of Naya Bans village in Sambhawli block was going to his tubewell when he was asked to sell his 25 bigha land for Rs 2 lakh only by Inder Singh and Kalwa of the same village.’
- ‘It has been pointed out that Nawab Shuja-ud-din in his time donated 50 bighas of land to Hindus to build a temple - the second holy one in Ayodhya - to Hanuman.’
- ‘The revenue record shows that the entire Malana village owns 175 hectares of land, but the cannabis is cultivated in more than 15,000 bighas that produce 2.5 kg charas per bigha every year, reveal the officials.’
- ‘I was informed there are 20 biswa to a bigha, and 32 biswa to an acre, that is, considerably less that the amount of land mentioned in Pande's book.’
- ‘The young man, bereft of a father, worked shoulder to shoulder with Labh Singh on his 22 bighas of land, often taking on hard labour and letting his ‘servant ‘do the lighter work.’’
- ‘He, however, feels, that the Corporation can earn more revenue through the commercialization of its 750 bighas of land located at prime places in the State.’
- ‘Emperor Akbar had built the dargah and gifted 200 bighas of land for meeting its expenses.’
- ‘It can be mentioned that 02,417 bighas of Balurchar was eroded between 1969 and 1971 after the river changed its course in 1962.’
From Hindi bīghā.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.