One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting a hybrid between two genera.
- ‘Since the radish and cabbage belong to different genera, the offspring resulting from this cross is called a bigeneric hybrid.’
- ‘Such bigeneric cross plants do occur rarely in nature, and have at times also been artificially created in the horticultural field.’
- ‘Information to date suggests that xPitinia is infertile in line with all other bigeneric hybrids.’
- ‘Pink dawn (Chitalpa tashkentensis), a bigeneric hybrid between the narrow-leaved desert willow (Chilopsis linearis) and the broad-leaved catalpa tree (Catalpa bignonioides).’
- ‘One bigeneric combination occasionally seen in the landscape is mountainash (Sorbus • hybrida) on hawthorn root stock.’
- ‘This is probably the first offering of the rare bigeneric cross of Zephyranthes ‘Labuffarosea’ x Habranthus robustus.’
- ‘I've read a fair bit about bigeneric hybrids in which colchicine is used to double up the chromosome number to produce a fertile plant - eg Tritcale.’
- ‘The nothogeneric name of a bigeneric hybrid is a condensed formula in which the names adopted for the parental genera are combined into a single word, using the first part or the whole of one, the last part or the whole of the other (but not the whole of both) and, optionally, a connecting vowel.’
- ‘All the individuals of these bigeneric crosses have the foliage of the Hippeastrum; and so I think, will be their flowers.’
- ‘HEUCHERELLA is a horticulturally-derived group of bigeneric hybrids between Heuchera, coralbells, and Tiarella, foamflower.’
- ‘Many of the intrageneric hybrids seem fertile, whereas as far as I can gather, bigeneric hybrids have proved to be sterile.’
- ‘Both nature and hybridisers have crossed different generic species and hybrids to cultivate bigeneric bromeliads, since the plants arrived on this planet.’
- ‘In a few cases bigeneric combinations have been proposed where tolerant species do not exist within the problem genera.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.