One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting a hybrid between two genera.
- ‘Both nature and hybridisers have crossed different generic species and hybrids to cultivate bigeneric bromeliads, since the plants arrived on this planet.’
- ‘This is probably the first offering of the rare bigeneric cross of Zephyranthes ‘Labuffarosea’ x Habranthus robustus.’
- ‘Information to date suggests that xPitinia is infertile in line with all other bigeneric hybrids.’
- ‘All the individuals of these bigeneric crosses have the foliage of the Hippeastrum; and so I think, will be their flowers.’
- ‘I've read a fair bit about bigeneric hybrids in which colchicine is used to double up the chromosome number to produce a fertile plant - eg Tritcale.’
- ‘Many of the intrageneric hybrids seem fertile, whereas as far as I can gather, bigeneric hybrids have proved to be sterile.’
- ‘HEUCHERELLA is a horticulturally-derived group of bigeneric hybrids between Heuchera, coralbells, and Tiarella, foamflower.’
- ‘Since the radish and cabbage belong to different genera, the offspring resulting from this cross is called a bigeneric hybrid.’
- ‘Pink dawn (Chitalpa tashkentensis), a bigeneric hybrid between the narrow-leaved desert willow (Chilopsis linearis) and the broad-leaved catalpa tree (Catalpa bignonioides).’
- ‘In a few cases bigeneric combinations have been proposed where tolerant species do not exist within the problem genera.’
- ‘One bigeneric combination occasionally seen in the landscape is mountainash (Sorbus • hybrida) on hawthorn root stock.’
- ‘Such bigeneric cross plants do occur rarely in nature, and have at times also been artificially created in the horticultural field.’
- ‘The nothogeneric name of a bigeneric hybrid is a condensed formula in which the names adopted for the parental genera are combined into a single word, using the first part or the whole of one, the last part or the whole of the other (but not the whole of both) and, optionally, a connecting vowel.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.