Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A weak, cowardly, or oversensitive man.‘no matter how a lad feels, it's just not the done thing to display his emotions—he might be accused of being a big girl's blouse’
- ‘This leaves him open to accusations of being a big girl's blouse.’
- ‘Perhaps some scholar of Latin would care to show off like a big girl's blouse, impress us with their immense knowledge and tell us whether the ‘i’ in Vicus is pronounced as in ‘git’ or as in ‘visa’.’
- ‘He is just a big girl's blouse and justice has been served.’
- ‘We would have called him a big girl's blouse, that's what.’
- ‘Lee then made some sarcastic remarks about Carlo having ironed his jeans to within an inch of their life and called him a big girl's blouse.’
- ‘Robbo, what do you think of the big girl's blouses of football who burst into tears whenever they fall over?’
- ‘He's a bloody big girl's blouse who wears velour pants.’
- ‘It would seem that the guy has his heart set on me breaking down and blubbering like a big girl's blouse - which just isn't going to happen.’
- ‘He has let ‘I dare not’ wait upon ‘I would’; he has been a big girl's blouse.’
- ‘I'm sure part of this is due to standard male upbringing, which requires you to endure injury without visible distress unless you're a big girl's blouse.’
- ‘I was pleased at first because it meant I could tell Bill I wasn't a big girl's blouse - but then they told me I had to have my leg in plaster for 25 days.’
- ‘In fact, we suggest members of the public call him a big girl's blouse.’
- ‘According to the media, he is a big girl's blouse who deserves to feel the smack of firm government.’
- ‘He's bringing his thrash/death Metal vocalist heroes out into the daylight because all you big girl's blouses need to hear them.’
- ‘You can see why people might think you're a bit of a big girl's blouse, because you have manicures, sunbeds and bleach your hair.’
- ‘if you believed the press the way he dresses makes him a big girl's blouse, but on the other hand his hair-cut makes him a thug!’
- ‘Sorry for the bitterness, I'm just going to go and watch Superman and cry for a bit like a big girl's blouse.’
- ‘We have been called everything, big girl's blouses even, by a lot of ex-Rangers players who I believe have never had a bad game in their lives.’
- ‘The most striking thing about Philp though is not his expertise but the fact that he runs like a big girl's blouse.’
- ‘‘It's £995,000 more than £5,000,’ he bleats - the big girl's blouse!’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.