One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Conceited or arrogant.‘I'm trying not to get too big-headed’
conceited, arrogant, boastful, cocky, cocksure, full of oneself, above oneself, self-important, immodest, swaggering, struttingView synonyms
- ‘I've told them to give me a kick up the backside if I ever get too bigheaded.’
- ‘Of course, that comment wasn't to praise you— so don't get bigheaded.’
- ‘He insulted me and accused me of being proud and big-headed.’
- ‘I don't feel under the same pressure now but I don't want to get big-headed.’
- ‘The key is to be confident and talk positively about yourself without coming across bigheaded.’
- ‘And, this may sound bigheaded, but we just made a really great record.’
- ‘Life on the tightrope of politics is like a drug for those mad, brave or bigheaded enough to attempt it.’
- ‘Despite their recent successes on the classical music scene, they have not become big-headed.’
- ‘Having so much money so young is going to make anyone a bit big-headed, and they have got the world at their feet.’
- ‘But though he loved telling you what he had done and was a wonderful gossip, he was not big-headed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.