Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A conceited or arrogant person.
boaster, brag, bragger, show-off, blusterer, trumpeter, swaggerer, poser, poseur, poseuse, peacock, egotist, self-publicistView synonyms
- ‘It means knowing and accepting the truth about yourself, not being a big-head with mighty notions about yourself.’
- ‘As his teammates chaired him from the field, I couldn't help thinking that Luffy was a star, not because of what he was, but what he wasn't - he was not a deadest champ, he was not a big-head, he was not dull.’
- ‘We are a very good team, there are no big-heads and everyone is working for each other.’
- ‘Indeed, though his bluster may encourage some to perceive him as a big-head he is nothing of the sort.’
- ‘I'm not like some of those big-head celebrity hounds who are too good for people or who get into movies for free.’
- ‘He did not come over as a big-head, but was a humble man.’
- ‘Imagine the power I'd have; no more interfering from big-head.’
- ‘Every story we diving big-heads had told each other about the dangers of being sick into our breathing tubes at depth leapt to mind.’
- ‘I don't know why I'm hanging with big-head, the boastful of all that is dumb guy stuff, otherwise known as Jordon.’
- ‘Somewhere where I can be away from big-heads!’
- ‘Dr Rock said he was expecting Chris to be a bit of a big-head given his familial proximity to rock royalty… but not so.’
- ‘He added the IBF title in 1997, and his impressive American debut, in which he knocked out former world champion Kevin Kelley in four rounds in Madison Square Garden, suggested the Prince may not be so much a big-head as a realist.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.