Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Double or twofold.
- ‘Similar techniques from social marketing and health promotion were used to develop an eight page, A4, bifold booklet designed specifically for this intervention.’
- ‘The lockers started as a set of ordinary hollow-core bifold closet doors.’
- ‘Within each doorway are two tiers of double bifold blinds with moveable slats, each tier four feet tall.’
- ‘The answer to the question of whether or not miracles occur is bifold in nature, analogous to a coin with two faces on it.’
- ‘After repairing and replacing key house elements like windows and siding, they inserted a dormer, a porch, and a large, elegant steel-and-glass bifold door.’
- ‘And I must admit from the moment we passed through the bifold doors to the rustic brick interior, service was attentive and wait time for meals minimal.’
- ‘At the other end, bifold louvered doors separated the dining room from the more casual family room.’
- ‘The formerly somewhat dark Hall has been opened up to the Garden and the park by the addition of a beautiful simple room with bifold casement windows on three sides.’
- ‘The door enclosing the washer and dryer slides like a barn door, instead of the typical bifold.’
- ‘Now one side of the laundry is closed; bifold doors hide the washer and dryer and adjacent wall cabinets.’
- ‘A bank of five bifold French doors stack to either side of the 15-foot-wide opening for a sweeping view west across the Rio Grande Valley.’
- ‘Today, one would look to the novel as the vehicle for this ambivalent and bifold struggle.’
- ‘Hence he adopts an attitude to authority which is bifold - authorities may tell us truths which we cannot ourselves apprehend, or they may hoodwink us with nonsense.’
- ‘This possibility is linked to the play's exploration of report, reputation and slander and its rhetorical counterpart in the consequences of the bifold authority of language in wit.’
- ‘A five-foot wide set of bifold doors with a wood frame would require an opening that was five-foot two-inches in width, and the height would again be 82 inches.’
- ‘For the simplest cards, begin with purchased, single- or bifold cards.’
- ‘The mission of our group is bifold.’
- ‘We have created a cab/chassis combination that is modified to duplicate the way retail milk has been delivered for years, a bifold side door, a sliding passage door and a large front windshield.’
- ‘The company produced a multifaceted bifold office brochure, with CD, office tear sheets, flyers, and special project brochures.’
- ‘We produce custom made bifold entrance doors for all construction projects.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.