One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in South Asia) a type of cheap cigarette made of unprocessed tobacco wrapped in leaves.
- ‘Similar regulations regarding other health-impairing tobacco products which have been on the market for centuries, together with cigarettes and bidis should also be reinforced.’
- ‘Two new types of tobacco products that are increasingly being used by teenagers and young adults are cigars and small flavored cigarettes called bidis.’
- ‘History of smoking, duration and number of cigarettes / bidis smoked/day, height and weight were evaluated in each subject.’
- ‘Every now and then the beedis and cigarettes would glow at random.’
- ‘Traditionally, the Sabars made their living from selling firewood and leaves from kendu trees, used to make hand-rolled cigarettes, called bidis.’
From Hindi bīḍi ‘betel plug, cigar’, from Sanskrit vīṭikā.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.