One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in South Asia) a type of cheap cigarette made of unprocessed tobacco wrapped in leaves.
- ‘Two new types of tobacco products that are increasingly being used by teenagers and young adults are cigars and small flavored cigarettes called bidis.’
- ‘History of smoking, duration and number of cigarettes / bidis smoked/day, height and weight were evaluated in each subject.’
- ‘Every now and then the beedis and cigarettes would glow at random.’
- ‘Traditionally, the Sabars made their living from selling firewood and leaves from kendu trees, used to make hand-rolled cigarettes, called bidis.’
- ‘Similar regulations regarding other health-impairing tobacco products which have been on the market for centuries, together with cigarettes and bidis should also be reinforced.’
From Hindi bīḍi ‘betel plug, cigar’, from Sanskrit vīṭikā.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.