One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A low oval basin used for washing one's genital and anal area.
- ‘The master bedroom is very large with steps leading down to an en suite bathroom with bath, twin hand basins, bidet and separate shower.’
- ‘As to plumbing, the rough-in was substantially complete but there was no finished plumbing for toilets, sinks, bidets, kitchen sink or dishwasher.’
- ‘The larger bathroom has a pedestal wash hand basin and step-in shower cubicle while the smaller room features a bidet, wash hand basin and toilet.’
- ‘The family bathroom is part-tiled in blue and has a grey ceramic suite - a bath with tiled surround, pedestal wash-hand basin and bidet.’
- ‘Features in the bathroom include a corner bath with an overhead shower, a bidet and a vanity dressing table.’
- ‘The apartment has two standout items: the wood-burning stove in her living area and a bidet in the washroom.’
- ‘The bathrooms have under floor heating, custom made vanities and a bidet.’
- ‘The company carries everything from the slightly different to the really different in basins, toilets, bidets, baths, showers, fittings, accessories and bathroom storage.’
- ‘The en suite bathroom is fully tiled in black and white and includes a wash hand basin, bidet, step-in shower unit and toilet.’
- ‘It has a bath with shower attachment, a toilet, two hand basins, bidet, cabinets with mirrored doors.’
- ‘The large bathroom has a bath with telephone shower attachment and front panelling, a pedestal wash-hand basin, bidet and toilet, as well as a tiled shower cubicle.’
- ‘The original Georgian dressing room has been converted into a luxury en suite bathroom with a fully restored claw footed cast iron bath and a bidet.’
- ‘The main bathroom with six-foot bath, toilet, wash hand basin and bidet, features a white ceramic finish.’
- ‘The en suite bathroom has two hand basins, a bidet and a large shower unit.’
- ‘This is fully tiled in white and fitted with a pedestal wash hand basin, bidet and shower unit.’
- ‘Another card from 1906 shows a young woman seated on a bidet shaped like a horse - apparently washing her genitals in an artifact of the hunt.’
- ‘To the right is a guest toilet equipped with a ceramic hand basin, bidet and toilet.’
- ‘Consequently, everything was new to her; the language, the food, the bidets, the trains and the drains.’
- ‘Off this is a well appointed en suite bathroom which is fully tiled in white and fitted with a bidet, wash hand basin, and a power shower cubicle with steam room facility.’
- ‘These match the avocado suite which comprises a bath, shower, toilet, bidet and wash hand basin.’
Mid 17th century (in the sense ‘horse’): from French, literally ‘pony’, from bider ‘to trot’, of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.