One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in church use) a prayer in the form of an invitation by a minister or leader to the congregation to pray about something.
- ‘By contrast, his bidding prayers and notices are warm and detailed, displaying a close knowledge of the people we are praying for, and dwelling specially and affectionately over the memory of the dead for whom the Mass is being offered.’
- ‘They both read lessons while the bidding prayers were led by the Roman Catholic Bishop and the High Sheriff of North Yorkshire.’
- ‘The readings and bidding prayers included participants from each of the drama groups.’
- ‘The bidding prayer is the oldest form of intercessory prayer and has traditionally been said in the language of the people.’
- ‘The rabbi included a bidding prayer that those who ‘were and are the victims of prejudice should be tolerant’ and invited prayers for the First Minister.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.