Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in church use) a prayer in the form of an invitation by a minister or leader to the congregation to pray about something.
- ‘The readings and bidding prayers included participants from each of the drama groups.’
- ‘The rabbi included a bidding prayer that those who ‘were and are the victims of prejudice should be tolerant’ and invited prayers for the First Minister.’
- ‘By contrast, his bidding prayers and notices are warm and detailed, displaying a close knowledge of the people we are praying for, and dwelling specially and affectionately over the memory of the dead for whom the Mass is being offered.’
- ‘The bidding prayer is the oldest form of intercessory prayer and has traditionally been said in the language of the people.’
- ‘They both read lessons while the bidding prayers were led by the Roman Catholic Bishop and the High Sheriff of North Yorkshire.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.