One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person or organization making a formal offer for something, especially at an auction.‘she was the highest bidder for this rare portrait’‘his government's preferred bidder for the contract’
- ‘We will contact the successful bidder within 14 days of the closing date.’
- ‘In the '80s, a growing competitiveness for rental ground was fostered by retired farmers cash renting to the highest bidders.’
- ‘Our real estate agent assured us the bidders would go to full price.’
- ‘It is illegal to sell jobs to the highest bidder in this state.’
- ‘Too few bidders is not representative, and too many just isn't necessary or fair to the construction community.’
- ‘Don't ever go for the cheapest bidder on a project.’
- ‘According to the auction house, seven bidders were chasing the painting.’
- ‘The winning bid is then slightly higher than the second-highest bidder's valuation of the asset.’
- ‘The movie poster went for $26,000 to an anonymous phone bidder.’
- ‘The alternative is an imperfect land market in which the number of bidders affects the final price paid for land.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.