One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Seem likely to.‘the girl bade fair to be pretty’
- ‘This bids fair to become another recorded Beethoven cycle in the making, its completion presumably depending upon sales.’
- ‘Though it is at present in its infancy it bids fair to render us valuable assistance; but, so far at least, we have little reason to think that it will ever rival the fingers and the ears for delicacy and exactitude of diagnosis.’
- ‘He bids fair to be nominated a choral conductor par excellence.’
- ‘I think that he clearly has participated strongly in the formulation of what bids fair to be a successful campaign.’
- ‘Michael has still to celebrate his 19th birthday and bids fair to be a star footballer for club and county in the years ahead.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.