One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Seem likely to.‘the girl bade fair to be pretty’
- ‘He bids fair to be nominated a choral conductor par excellence.’
- ‘This bids fair to become another recorded Beethoven cycle in the making, its completion presumably depending upon sales.’
- ‘I think that he clearly has participated strongly in the formulation of what bids fair to be a successful campaign.’
- ‘Michael has still to celebrate his 19th birthday and bids fair to be a star footballer for club and county in the years ahead.’
- ‘Though it is at present in its infancy it bids fair to render us valuable assistance; but, so far at least, we have little reason to think that it will ever rival the fingers and the ears for delicacy and exactitude of diagnosis.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.