One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Each of a pair of metal clips worn by a cyclist round their ankles to prevent their trouser legs from becoming entangled with the bicycle chain.
- ‘We go around in anoraks and bicycle clips while they swish through in large cars.’
- ‘Up on my bike, I cycled the nine miles, my bicycle clips on, my lunch of homemade soda bread and country butter in my saddlebag - I was as happy a young guard as ever was seen on the road that day.’
- ‘Poking her head out of the window, Jean took a look at the distinguished figure putting on his bicycle clips, donning on a cloth cap and mounting his bike.’
- ‘Those whose mothers had obliged and tapered their trousers - which pretty much consisted of doing with a zigzag stitch what a bicycle clip does to the bottom of a trouser leg - would stand a little apart and relish their cool.’
- ‘In fact, cycling was to become her mode of transportation until she was 81, when only the increasing traffic on the roads obliged her to put her bicycle clips into retirement.’
- ‘Fame nestles comfortably on his shoulders but fortune has not and while he admits to making money out of success he will have to get a ‘proper job’ when he finally hangs up his bicycle clips.’
- ‘In simpler times ‘the guards ‘, had bicycles and bicycle clips, but so too had those whose lives they policed.’’
- ‘One moment we were putting on our bicycle clips to go to a football match down the road and before anyone could say Jack Robinson we were driving around in a new car.’
- ‘The boys wore bicycle clips on their trousers to make sure they wouldn't catch in the wheel!’
- ‘The bicycle clips were on - he had taken them from me.’
- ‘The boys wore bicycle clips so their trouser legs would not get caught in the chain of the bike.’
- ‘I boast nearly a full set of teeth and a pair of matching bicycle clips, worn out.’
- ‘Having clocked up more than 50,000 miles during 75 years in the saddle, he has decided to hang up his bicycle clips for good.’
- ‘He'll be the one with the brown trousers and the bicycle clips.’
- ‘Distinguished participants milled about in the foyer leading to the stairs up to the glamorous assembly rooms above the Takeaway Kebab, removing waterproofs and bicycle clips.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.