Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small dog of a breed with a fine, curly white coat.
- ‘Lupine qualities are apparent in the Alaskan malamute, but unfathomable in the bichon frise.’
- ‘As soon as a young woman walking her bichon frise came by in the other direction, the men's chatter started up again.’
- ‘If ever the greeting card industry needs a poster dog for Valentine's Day, there is no better candidate than the bichon frise.’
- ‘Today I watched a woman keeping an anxious eye on her bichon frise's bowel movements.’
- ‘The nine-year-old bichon frise became trapped and Mrs Black rushed to help.’
From French barbichon little water spaniel + frisé curly-haired.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.