One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having two heads.
- ‘The identity of the bicephalous zoomorphic figure - perhaps a serpent or dragon - is uncertain.’
- ‘Several of the motifs depicted, specifically a bicephalous, snake-like creature and a monkey, are identical to those observed on the flagstone pavement at a nearby site.’
- ‘There are a few references and illustrations of the double-headed or bicephalous eagle in this book, but nothing horribly informative.’
- ‘The statue is a marble bicephalous Hermes, which was discovered in 1970.’
- ‘A piece of Maya jewelry depicts an anthropomorphic, bicephalous serpent.’
- ‘In far northern Europe, bicephalous animal motifs seem to be traceable at least as far back as the early 7th millennium B.C.’
- ‘These architectural remains also depict palm trees under bicephalous eagle as the tree of life, symbolizing peace and prosperity.’
- ‘On the main facade is an imposing bicephalous eagle, which represented the Hapsburg dynasty.’
- ‘Above the imperial doors the onlooker discovers the princely bicephalous eagle.’
- ‘The horizontal axis is a bicephalous serpent with mandibles made from jade that symbolize water and feathers.’
- ‘He is frequently represented in dual, bicephalous form, in constant activity in the four corners of the world, on the six faces of the cube of the universe.’
- ‘According to the Roman myth, Janus, the bicephalous god, is older than the calendar and precedes Jupiter himself.’
- ‘This reptilian monster has various forms in its plastic representations, according to the style of each region; it can appear as a bicephalous dragon or a 2-headed plumed serpent; and also as a bird with serpent features.’
- ‘The national flag represents a black bicephalous eagle with open wings situated in the middle of a red background.’
- ‘The title page is surrounded with an engraving on wood that contains also the bicephalous eagle, the emblem of the Castriots.’
Early 19th century: from bi- ‘two’ + Greek kephalē ‘head’ + -ous.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.