One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A salt containing the anion HCO₃⁻.
- ‘Brewers concentrate primarily on the levels of calcium, magnesium, sulfate, sodium, chloride, bicarbonates, and nitrates in their brewing liquor.’
- ‘Over the last century, antacids were developed based on the hydroxides and carbonates of the group II and III metals, as well as the bicarbonates of the alkali metals.’
- ‘During chemical weathering atmospheric carbon dioxide reacts with rock-forming silicate minerals to produce bicarbonates, which are washed into the oceans where they eventually form carbonate rocks.’
- ‘Like the bicarbonate in blood, calcium carbonate helps return environmental pH to closer-to-normal levels by neutralizing the excessive acid in the water and soil.’
- ‘The bicarbonates in the wastewater are in equilibrium with dissolved carbon dioxide. Direct contact with ambient air would shift the equilibrium, resulting in the escape of carbon dioxide back into the atmosphere.’
2mass noun Sodium bicarbonate.
- ‘For bee stings, mix bicarbonate of soda with water into a paste and spread directly on the affected area.’
- ‘Provide pots each containing a white powder: flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda and sugar.’
- ‘Sometimes oil-based muffins, because they have not been beaten madly, have to rely on extra baking powder or bicarbonate of soda for a good rise, which can leave a metallic taste in the mouth.’
- ‘Sift the flour, ground ginger, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl.’
- ‘If the white grout between tiles has become discoloured or black, simply apply a paste of bicarbonate of soda with a soft toothbrush.’
- ‘One effective step is to dissolve a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in warm water and drink 20 minutes after every meal.’
- ‘Place the flour, oats, sugar and bicarbonate of soda in a food processor with a pinch of salt.’
- ‘Robin said the three most important ingredients in her cupboard under the sink were pure soap, bicarbonate of soda and white vinegar.’
- ‘Shoe odour can be eliminated by sprinkling bicarbonate of soda or dry, powdered herbs, such as chamomile, in the shoes each evening.’
- ‘To remove the taste and smell from the kids' plastic drink bottles, fill the bottles with a solution of bicarbonate of soda and warm water and allow to soak overnight.’
- ‘Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cream of tartar and salt into a bowl.’
- ‘Add mashed bananas and combine flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder and fold into butter and egg mixture.’
- ‘Mix together the flour and bicarbonate of soda then beat into the spicy butter mixture, adding enough milk to make a smooth dough.’
- ‘Itchiness caused by a nettle rash, heat rash, allergy rash, or a rash that results from a viral infection may be relieved by a paste of bicarbonate of soda and water.’
- ‘The daily requirement of sodium could be got by eating salt (sodium chloride), bicarbonate of soda (sodium hydrogen carbonate), or monosodium glutamate.’
- ‘I resolved to get up at 7am and scrub everything in the house with a homemade paste of bicarbonate of soda and white vinegar.’
- ‘Place the water, dates, bicarbonate of soda, ginger, mixed spice and vanilla essence in a pan and bring to the boil then remove from heat.’
- ‘Add the tartar and bicarbonate of soda, the sugar and the milk soured with lemon juice.’
- ‘To clean vinyl and remove odours from seats and lining panels, wipe over with a solution of bicarbonate of soda and warm water.’
- ‘Placing slices of lemon along their pathways is also reputed to be an effective repellent, as is a mixture of bicarbonate of soda and black pepper.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.