One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The use of books as therapy in the treatment of mental or psychological disorders.
- ‘This study describes how two second grade teachers along with a school counselor used bibliotherapy trade books with students within Literature Circles to build self-esteem in reading.’
- ‘Twenty-one couples were added to the experimental group without randomization, and received bibliotherapy with scheduled-contact telephone support as described in the Methods section.’
- ‘In bibliotherapy, therapists prescribe books for modelling purposes.’
- ‘These include physical exercise, bibliotherapy and psychotherapy.’
- ‘These differences with regard to drop out from bibliotherapy are in need of further explanation.’
- ‘Participants were randomly assigned to 10 weeks of treatment with cognitive behavioral bibliotherapy and minimal therapist support by telephone followed by a 10-week follow-up period, or to a waiting-list control group.’
- ‘The article concluded that bibliotherapy works most effectively when teamed with other forms of therapy - medication and counselling.’
- ‘Strategies that may guide them in coping with problems and stresses related to adoption and attachment difficulties include age-appropriate role play, conflict resolution, creative imagery, and bibliotherapy techniques.’
- ‘One such technique is bibliotherapy which is a term first coined by Samuel Crothers many years ago.’
- ‘The most prominent difference, though not statistically significant, was between totally self-administered bibliotherapy and minimal therapist contact bibliotherapy, the latter being associated with the larger effect size.’
- ‘The focus of this study was to determine if placing a school counselor in two second grade classrooms while teachers conducted Literature Circles using bibliotherapy trade books would have an effect on student self-esteem.’
- ‘Other effects of bibliotherapy were investigated through a set of seven outcome variables: problem status, problem distress, sexual satisfaction, intimacy, sexual arousal, self-perception, and marital satisfaction.’
- ‘But in the past 20 years, as clinicians themselves produced self-help literature for the general public, nonfiction has become the dominant genre in bibliotherapy.’
- ‘The number of telephone contacts and total duration of therapist contact by telephone were recorded for couples in the bibliotherapy group.’
- ‘This was done to enable comparison of the effects of bibliotherapy with more frequent and scheduled telephone contacts on the one hand, and the same treatment with entirely self-initiated telephone support on the other hand.’
- ‘From the size of these correlations, the answers to compliance questions can be considered a fairly reliable data source regarding the daily practice of bibliotherapy.’
- ‘Over 50 bibliotherapy references are also provided along with material related to building resilient families and youth.’
- ‘Finally, in comparing videowork to traditional bibliotherapy, it is our impression that clients do film homework more readily than book assignments.’
- ‘Fourteen respondents reported utilizing education through a variety of media, including genograms, use of stories and metaphor, bibliotherapy, television, movies, music, and other expressive formats.’
- ‘In clinical bibliotherapy and bibliocounseling, skilled practitioners use therapeutic methods to help individuals experiencing serious emotional problems.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.