Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A tap with a bent nozzle fixed at the end of a pipe.→ bib tap
- ‘This angle valve with bib cock is part of a great new line of fittings for contemporary bathrooms.’
- ‘All products in this range, including single lever mixers and bib cocks, feature the same lever handle concept.’
- ‘Choose from our varied range of necessary bathroom fittings that includes German type bib cocks, wall & sink mixers, stopcock, angle valves, couplings, nipple, reducers, bushings, tee and elbows.’
- ‘We specialize in manufacturing various kinds of brass ball valves, check valves, LPG valves, bib cocks, Taps, Pipe fittings, Sanitary ware and similar items.’
- ‘Exhibitors in this zone showcased bathroom fittings and sanitary-ware including bathtubs, basins, and sinks, showerheads, bib cocks and toilet seats.’
Late 18th century: perhaps from bib and cock.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.