Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
plural nounNorth american
- ‘That was more romantic and more interesting than the way these same Blackfeet were living in 1913 and 1914 when Seyler saw them, plodding behind a slip scraper on an irrigation project or plowing some dry, dusty bottomland in bib overalls.’
- ‘I finally found a pair of work gloves that aren't way too big, but I would really like a pair of bib overalls.’
- ‘She was wearing bib overalls like her father's, but several sizes larger.’
- ‘They were wearing bib overalls, which seemed to be the required attire for this area.’
- ‘I met some of the neighbor boys- big Finn boys in bib overalls and with bare feet.’
- ‘He was wearing bib overalls that looked like they had seen many seasons worth of work.’
- ‘The tousled blond wears tight bib overalls and is flanked by dark-eyed boys with blown-dry hair; they look like twins.’
- ‘As he removed his green baseball cap and lowered his bib overalls, Kyle unleashed a cloud of dust that eventually disappeared into the examination room carpet.’
- ‘Like most people in the region, we have grown accustomed to the world's determination to dress us in bib overalls.’
- ‘The Gore-Tex portion of the line consists of two camouflage jackets, insulated bib overalls and pants.’
- ‘He had been working in the yard and was wearing his customary bib overalls, complete with pockets large enough to conceal an ‘N’ frame Smith, but today they held nothing, not even a small wrench or set of pliers.’
- ‘You will need a clean set of bib overalls, a 100-watt light bulb and a pair of comfortable shoes.’
- ‘He was wearing bib overalls and the truck was quite a sight. The point was padded, the fender was flapping and the old truck was smoking.’
- ‘The crowd erupts in joy as the furry former sitcom star strides onto the stage wearing a straw hat and bib overalls.’
- ‘It's like the one that Grandad always kept in the pocket of his bib overalls.’
- ‘Cyrus reached into the front pocket of his bib overalls and pulled out a chaw of tobacco and bit off a hunk.’
- ‘In stark contrast to the swank images used by most vodka producers, their campaign centers around a decidedly glamour-free pitchman: an elderly farmer, in bib overalls and a straw hat, standing amid amber waves of grain.’
- ‘She also is a pretty colorful writer, as she demonstrates in this description of Woody: He was dressed in bib overalls, sans shirt, with a chest full of wiry hair curling over the top.’
- ‘Handguns are commonly found in glove compartments, tackle boxes and the chest pockets of bib overalls.’
- ‘Daryl looks at Ann's bib overalls and a white belly T-shirt.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.