One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Nordic skiing event in which the competitors combine cross-country skiing and rifle shooting.
- ‘Eight biathlon events, 12 cross country ski races and three Nordic combined events were held on the 31 kilometer course.’
- ‘The biathlon works on a points system, similar to the decathlon, but instead of ten events, competitors only take part in a time swim and run.’
- ‘In an unprecedented effort, the channel will provide some form of coverage of almost every event including Nordic combined and biathlon.’
- ‘The event comprised cross-country skiing and the biathlon, which is a combination of cross-country skiing and shooting.’
- ‘His strength has always been the skiing portion of biathlon, a tribute to the years he spent running and cross-country skiing.’
- ‘Cross-country skiing and biathlon (which combines cross-country skiing with target shooting on a 50m range) involves a great deal of fitness, coordination and balance.’
- ‘Those who purchased the joint pass by October 31 will also receive a two-hour biathlon experience that includes range instruction, ammunition and rifle use at the Paralympic range.’
- ‘This event, a cross-country biathlon, starts with an 8: 00 a.m. registration.’
- ‘Stephen keeps up with his jogging, often once a day, and has made plans to return home for a fundraising biathlon in May.’
- ‘As in traditional competition, biathlon consists of cross-country skiing and shooting.’
- ‘The sport of biathlon combines the disciplines of cross-country skiing and target shooting.’
- ‘Encouraged by friends and family, she entered a local biathlon and found she still enjoyed the challenge of competition.’
- ‘The biathlon, he adds, has helped him ‘focus on the day-to-day things and not worry about things that are coming up in the future.’’
- ‘He has gained provincial colours for athletics, cross-country, swimming, biathlon, triathlon, duathlon, cycling, gymnastics and tumbling.’
- ‘During the biathlon, participants shoot as they go through a snowshoe course.’
- ‘The biathlon shooting range is set up on the north-facing side of the stadium.’
- ‘One of the most exciting events was the biathlon, which combines cross-country skiing with shooting at targets at a range of 50m.’
- ‘She turned to biathlon three years later after attending a regional biathlon camp.’
- ‘Although it will be the first time he has represented his country in athletics, he has been honoured in the winter biathlon, which incorporates shooting and cross country skiing.’
- ‘I've had a few bad incidents myself over my decisions to try ski jumping and the biathlon without any skills, experience, or the right equipment.’
1950s: from bi- ‘two’ + Greek athlon ‘contest’, on the pattern of pentathlon. Compare with duathlon.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.