Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A flat bread roll topped with chopped onions.
- ‘A passion for bialys, those chewy crusty rolls with the toasted onion center, drew the author to the Polish town of Bialystock to explore the history of this Jewish staple.’
- ‘When in New York who can resist the chewy bialys and bagels?’
- ‘Onion soup is the gooey, cheesy mess it should be; baked shrimp scampi, the oily curls they shouldn't be; and the smoked-salmon tasting plate, what bialy lovers will want it to be (though be forewarned: You get toasted brioche).’
- ‘Mark, for example, didn't give up his usual breakfast of cream cheese and lox, but he did replace the bagels with lower-calorie bialys.’
- ‘The bialy's turned out great. Light and airy with just a touch of chewiness to them.’
- ‘I love bagels, but bialys are the real soul of that world.’
- ‘Today I am trying my hand at a bialy recipe I first made two weekends ago.’
- ‘I was forced to develop this recipe when my source for bialy became unreliable. I had become addicted to these as breakfast food.’
- ‘This shop is now the only place in the world that concentrates on making authentic bialys.’
- ‘I had a bialy with low-fat cream cheese and an iced coffee and a grilled chicken sandwich.’
- ‘But bialys are one of those things that you want to eat right out of the oven.’
- ‘But this cream cheese wasn't going to be smeared on one of my legendary bialys.’
- ‘Since 1947, the store has captured the time-honored tradition of baking authentic, old-world bialys.’
- ‘Polish Americans have, in addition to the sausage, also contributed staples to American cuisine, including the breakfast roll, bialys, the babka coffeecake, and potato pancakes.’
- ‘We even tried to make a few bagels and bialys with Washington water.’
- ‘We sat at the bar and ordered some coffee, poached eggs with pastrami for me, poached eggs with bacon for Maxence, a bialy each and a tiny tub of cream cheese.’
Yiddish, from Białystok, where such bread was originally made.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.