One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A flat bread roll topped with chopped onions.
- ‘But this cream cheese wasn't going to be smeared on one of my legendary bialys.’
- ‘Mark, for example, didn't give up his usual breakfast of cream cheese and lox, but he did replace the bagels with lower-calorie bialys.’
- ‘We even tried to make a few bagels and bialys with Washington water.’
- ‘Polish Americans have, in addition to the sausage, also contributed staples to American cuisine, including the breakfast roll, bialys, the babka coffeecake, and potato pancakes.’
- ‘When in New York who can resist the chewy bialys and bagels?’
- ‘We sat at the bar and ordered some coffee, poached eggs with pastrami for me, poached eggs with bacon for Maxence, a bialy each and a tiny tub of cream cheese.’
- ‘Onion soup is the gooey, cheesy mess it should be; baked shrimp scampi, the oily curls they shouldn't be; and the smoked-salmon tasting plate, what bialy lovers will want it to be (though be forewarned: You get toasted brioche).’
- ‘Today I am trying my hand at a bialy recipe I first made two weekends ago.’
- ‘I was forced to develop this recipe when my source for bialy became unreliable. I had become addicted to these as breakfast food.’
- ‘Since 1947, the store has captured the time-honored tradition of baking authentic, old-world bialys.’
- ‘I love bagels, but bialys are the real soul of that world.’
- ‘This shop is now the only place in the world that concentrates on making authentic bialys.’
- ‘A passion for bialys, those chewy crusty rolls with the toasted onion center, drew the author to the Polish town of Bialystock to explore the history of this Jewish staple.’
- ‘But bialys are one of those things that you want to eat right out of the oven.’
- ‘I had a bialy with low-fat cream cheese and an iced coffee and a grilled chicken sandwich.’
- ‘The bialy's turned out great. Light and airy with just a touch of chewiness to them.’
Yiddish, from Białystok, where such bread was originally made.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.